Planning & Zoning

The Department of Building and Development Services is responsible for the permitting of all development within the City of Charleston.  The City of Charleston also has zoning jurisdiction over all property within one and one-half miles of the City limits.  It also reviews requests for rezonings, future land use map amendments, future land use text amendments, and variances to the code, as well as conditional use permits, sign permits, and single family residential development requests.  The department participates in the development review process and comments on development permits, Planned Unit Developments, subdivision plans, site plans, conditional use permits, landscape plans, annexations and right of way/easement abandonment.  The department revises existing and develops new Land Development Regulations to implement the goals and objectives of the Comprehensive Plan and the directives of the City Council.  The staff assists property owners and the development community and provides coordination between other local and state and federal agencies.

The Planning and Zoning division implements the Land Development Regulations commonly referred to as the zoning code.   It includes the list of permitted and conditional uses within individual zoning districts, building setbacks, parking, landscaping, and signage requirements.  The division also handles site plan review for residential and commercial sites.

The City of Charleston uses the following Planning and Zoning Codes and Documents:

City of Charleston Unified Development Code
City of Charleston Comprehensive Plan 
Illinois Accessibility Code

To obtain a Zoning Use Permit

To get a zoning use permit, you must provide the following:

  • Completed Building and Zoning Use Permit Form Submit this form
  • Property Record Card or Recorded Warranty Deed
  • Property Tax Identification number for the property
  • 3 Plot/Site Plans Drawn to Scale  
  • Floor Plan  (if applicable)
Please note:  If your property is located within a flood zone a sealed survey is required indicating the location of the mean high water mark and 100-year flood line.

Steve Pamperin
City Planner